Once a place where the Nipmucks planted maize and European settlers raised hay, once the site of a toll road, chartered in 1799, linking Boston to Brattleboro….
Cass Meadow today is being maintained as an example of early successional habitat – grasses and wildflowers that provide a home for butterflies, dragonflies, birds, and animals with a yen for sun. It includes 36 acres owned by the state abutting 8 owned by the town, both lying along the north shore of the Millers River. Strong cooperation between the two levels of government made the preservation of this increasingly rare habitat possible.
And the future? That includes the construction of a bridge linking Cass Meadow to the Alan E. Rich Environmental Park on the south shore of the river.Directions:
From Athol Center, go north at traffic light onto Exchange St. , cross bridge, and turn left onto Pequoig Ave. Continue about 0.5 mi. to entrance on left.